Explorer's Box

One of the projects released during Club Scrap's Anniversary Cruise was the Explorer's Box. You can take a closer look at the classroom version on Club Scrap's blog.

I designed my box to coordinate with the Explorer's Journal I shared yesterday. Since my journal was decorated with the Ports of Call page kit, my box has a lighter, brighter color scheme.

I started with the Explorer's Box Components kit. It includes the pre-cut book board, mat board and decorative hardware needed to construct the box. (The anchor is die cut from a scrap of mat board, and is not included in the kit.)

Acrylic paints in aqua, taupe, and gray were applied to the tissue paper layer. I also added a light wash of white paint mixed with water to achieve the look you see below.


The inside of the box is lined with pages torn from an old atlas. A light wash of white paint mixed with water unifies the different pages used for the interior.


The collage includes cutaparts from the Ports of Call page kit, mini star fish, tiny seashells, as well as charms and gold coins from the Navigation Remix collection. 




A tiny glass bottle holds beads in colors that remind me of the Caribbean.


What treasures will your Explorer's Box hold?

Happy crafting!



Comments

  1. Karen! What a fantastic box full of tiny details to hold your vacation album! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I admire your work, so that means a lot coming from you!

      Delete
  2. Love love love this version! I can't decide which colorway I will do mine. You might have swayed me from the red, I'm pretty sure... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cool another version to consider

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. Love the whitewash over all the surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! It's fun to experiment with different color ways and washes to give the surface that "worn leather" look. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful project! My nephew lives in Punta Cana.
    Wish I could have been with you all on the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Punta Cana so much, and hope to go back some day. We wish you could have joined us on the cruise, too. It was a great trip! Miss you both!

      Delete

Post a Comment