DIY Perpetual Calendar

Hi, my name is Karen, and I'm a Pinterest addict. I'm often inspired by things I see there, and I pin ideas like a crazy person. This Metal Perpetual Calendar from World Market is currently pinned to my board, "wish list":



But at almost 50 bucks, the only way I was getting my hands on one is to make it myself. Theirs is metal, but I was pretty sure I could replicate the look with card stock, mat board and book board. The Uppercase Alpha Stencils from Club Scrap helped make the rest of this project possible.

Here's my finished version:



The letters and numbers included in the stencil set are 2.5" tall, so I designed the entire project with that measurement in mind.

Supplies Needed:

(14) 2 x 5.5" White card stock
(14) 2.25 x 5.75" Mat board
(19) 3 x 5.5" Black card stock
(19) 3.25 x 5.75" Mat board
(2) 6 x 12" Book board
White acrylic paint
Black acrylic paint
Crop-a-Dile (or other hole punch)
CS Bookbinding Glue
(3) Foam brushes
(8) Binder rings
  1. Place a 2 x 5.5" White Plain vertically on your work surface. Use a grid ruler draw a pencil guideline 1.5" from the bottom edge and use the zero on the ruler to mark the center. Repeat for all white panels.
  2. Use black acrylic paint to stencil numbers onto center of each white panel. You'll need one set 0-3, and another set 0-9.
  3. Stencil letters onto black panels with white acrylic paint. (Tip: Stencil center letter first.) 
  4. Use CS Bookbinding glue to adhere card stock panels to the corresponding mat board pieces. Distress edges as desired. (I used a blend of black and copper metallic acrylic paint along the edges to duplicate the rusted metal edges.)
  5. Punch a pair of holes at the top of each calendar piece, 1/4" inch from the top edge.
  6. Trim book board to 12 x 6". Arrange one set of mat boards from left to right, month, a pair of digits, day of week, centering top to bottom, and spaced evenly left to right. Mark hole locations, punch using Crop-a-dile. Repeat with second 12 x 6" book board. Paint with black acrylic, distress if desired.
  7. Assemble and enjoy!





Comments

  1. Love how you duplicated the rusty edges! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked Karen! I love it :) Very cool piece...so gonna copy this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea!!! What a great gift it would make.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment